These super easy and fast “donuts” are actually cinnamon roll dough shaped into donuts using a donut pan (really inexpensive.)
Our thanks to Buns In My Oven (what a cute name) for dreaming up this delight!
For the donuts
- 1 cup flour
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons tablespoons buttermilk (or regular milk with a teaspoon of white vinegar added)
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vegetable or canoloa oil
For the cinnamon topping
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 5 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon milk
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
For the glaze
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons heavy cream
- To make the cinnamon topping, melt the butter in a small saucepan. Stir in the cinnamon, brown sugar, milk, and cornstarch.
- Heat just until it begins to boil. Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla.
- Pour the cinnamon topping evenly into each well of your well-greased donut pan.
- To make the donuts. reheat the oven to 325 degrees. Lightly grease a donut pan.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, nutmeg, cinnamon, and salt.
- In a small bowl, stir together the buttermilk, egg, and oil.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and stir with a wooden spoon until fully incorporated.
- Drop spoonfuls of the batter into the donut pan over the cinnamon topping and bake for 10 minutes or until lightly browned and cooked through.
- Remove from the oven and cool in the pan for two minutes before transferring to a wire rack. Some of the cinnamon toppings will likely be left in your donut pan, but a good portion of it will have transferred to your donuts.
- Cool donuts before glazing.
- To make the glaze. whisk together the powdered sugar and cream until smooth. Spoon into a baggie and cut off a small corner of the bag. Pipe the glaze onto the donuts.
- Serve immediately.
Recipe image and texts from Buns In My Oven.